- Working with Social Value Portal, Compass Group UK & I has measured its social value impact for 2022
- As a result of ongoing investment in people, community and social enterprises, the business has generated a social value of £7m (a 40% increase since 2021)
- An additional local economic value of £711m has been achieved as a result of the local employment it provides across the country (an increase from £590m in 2021)
Compass Group UK & Ireland, the UK’s largest food and support services business, has had the social impact of its work measured, by Social Value Portal, at £718m, this includes a 40% increase in social value, now worth £7m. This investment has been achieved by positive interventions and activity the company has taken in relation to its people, community support and social enterprises.
As one the UK’s largest employers, an additional £711m of local economic value has been generated, as a result of the company employing over 19k of its 45k people within 15 miles of their homes.
Social value measurement looks at the social, economic and environmental benefits of a business. Using the measurement framework, the Social Value TOM System ™ the report assessed how the company’s activities and initiatives have been carried out and generated value for local people, communities and society in which they work.
Key social value impact highlights for 2022 included:
- Over 1500 employees on career pathways
- Over 600 apprenticeships underway
- 14,000 hours of Diversity & Inclusion training provided
- More than 300 contracts paying Real Living Wage
- Spent £3m with social enterprises
- Over 800 hours spent on mental health campaigns
- Donated 175k to local charities
- Providing 80k children with culinary and nutritional workshops
Commenting on the company’s social value impact – Chris Chidley, Compass Group UK & Ireland Social Value Executive Team Sponsor said:
“Social value is an important part of our DNA. Over the past two years our teams have worked to embed a social value mindset into our business. Our people work hard to provide great quality food and support services to all our clients and increasingly we are also providing more support to the local communities in which we live and work in too.
“As a business, we have made a commitment to support one million people with opportunities and change their lives through job creation, education, training, community and charitable engagement by 2030, through our Social Promise. This is seeing us drive real change. I am incredibly proud of what our teams do day in and day out. Thank you to all of them for the contribution they have made in delivering such a positive social impact."
Guy Battle, CEO, at Social Value Portal said:
“Having worked with Compass Group UK & Ireland for nearly two years, we have seen first hand the organisation’s inspirational approach - and ongoing commitment - to delivering Social Value for the many communities in which it operates.
“We are therefore delighted to have had the opportunity to help them measure and then validate the data, using the Social Value TOM System ™ to underpin their impact and delivery of Social Value, both as a business and throughout its supply chain.
“Behind every single pound of the £718m, there is a life: a person, a family and a community that will benefit. This in turn leads to a stronger, more resilient and productive society - which is what Social Value is all about.”