Compass Group UK & Ireland has secured Gold Armed Forces Employer Recognition Scheme status following its recent revalidation, carried out by the Defence Relationship Management Team. The Gold commendation reflects the work the organisation does to support veterans, reservists, cadets and military families in its business.
Compass signed the Armed Forces Covenant in 2016, securing gold in 2018. The award is reviewed every five years, to ensure companies are meeting the commitments they made when they signed the Covenant.
Compass has recently updated its pledges in relation to the Armed Forces Covenant to include military spouses and military families. Updated pledges include:
- Spouses – A specific policy that enhances support through the commitment to endeavour to redeploy military spouses to an alternative role internally on notification of posting; providing an additional leave day to support with pre-post deployments
- Military Families – Introduction of military family days, working in partnership with clients providing families with days out at high profile venues
- Recruitment of veterans – Enhancing support for those leaving the military through access to webinars, guidance and work placements
- Ongoing support to its Reservists through the provision of 10 days leave to support with the training
- Widening partnerships with key military charities and recruitment partners – Forces Families Jobs, Career Transition Partnership, Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity, Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund, ABF The Soldiers’ Charity, Naval Families Federation, The White Ensign and SSAFA
Commenting on its Gold status, Camilla Howard, Chair of Compass Group UK & Ireland’s Armed Forces Committee said:
“It’s wonderful that our ongoing work to support veterans and those from the wider armed forces community in our business has been recognised with our Gold award being re-validated.
“We are so proud of all the work we do in this area. Whether it be supporting spouses with deployments, who are often trying to build their own career, as well as managing home life on their own; or supporting veterans adjusting to the civilian world and often looking to enter the job market for the first time; or giving reservists the time they need for training; we want to ensure our people are supported at the times they need it most. We believe that those from the Armed Forces community are a huge asset to our business.”
Phil Marks, National Account Manager, Defence Relationship Management added:
“Since the very beginning I have worked with the most dedicated people at Compass from those in the Forces network to those on the Board who sponsor this programme. All have supported the Defence Family, employing many Service leavers and Veterans, supporting our Reserves by granting an additional 10 days paid leave, developing a standout Spouse and Partners policy and supporting their Cadet Force Adult Volunteers.
“Additionally, Compass has supported finding guest speakers for Defence employer events, supporting my Regional colleagues, mentoring organisations with ambitions to achieve ERS Gold, attending career fairs and attending many Defence Engagement events.
“Working with Compass has been a pleasure, from the very beginning they have strived to enhance, improve and develop their polices supporting the Defence family and I look forward to working with them in 2024 and their continued support.”